Sleep helps you feel better but it goes much further than just getting more rest.
Studies show that adequate sleep improves your overall quality of life. On average, anywhere between 8-10 hours of sleep helps to produce optimum results.
But even the best of us could benefit from an extra hour or two of quality sleep.
Here are seven compelling reasons why you should get more sleep:
- Sleep helps improve your memory. When your mind is rested you tend to retain more information during the day.
- Sleep improves your physical health. A 2010 study found that C-reactive protein, which is associated with heart attack risk, was higher in people who got six or fewer hours of sleep a night.
- Sleep helps to improve your creativity. In addition to consolidating memories, or making them stronger, your brain appears to reorganize and restructure them, which may result in more creativity as well.
- Sleep helps to improve your performance. By reducing stress, the quality of your physical and emotional performance increases significantly during waking hours.
- Sleep helps you maintain a healthy weight. Researchers at the University of Chicago found that dieters who were well rested lost more fat—56% of their weight loss—than those who were sleep deprived, who lost more muscle mass. (They shed similar amounts of total weight regardless of sleep.)
- Sleep helps curb moods of depression. A lack of sleep can contribute to depression studies show. A good night’s sleep can really help a moody person decrease their anxiety. You get more emotional stability with good sleep.
- Sleep is nature’s best beauty treatment. A good night sleep helps to reduce bags under the eyes, and it gives your body time to recover from environmental damage and pollution.
How to get the best sleep every night?
Try aroma therapy. Lavender essential oils have been known to induce feelings of relaxation and calmness.
Take the clock out of the bedroom.
Listen to soothing music to fall asleep to.
Create a spa-like space in your bedroom. Make it a place that you look forward to coming to at the end of each day.
So go ahead, get some ZZZZZ’s!